Tonight’s U-23 MNT starting XI vs. Colombia (4-4-2): 1-Ethan Horvath; 15-Desevio Payne, 3- Matt Miazga, 4-Tim Parker, 2-Kellyn Acosta; 11- Paul Arriola, 6-Wil Trapp, 13-Matt Polster, 8-Emerson Hyndman; 16-Mario Rodriguez, 9-Jordan Morris
Available subs: 12-Cody Cropper, 18-Tyler Miller, 5-Walker Zimmerman, 7-Dillon Serna, 10-Luis Gil, 14-Fatai Alashe, 17-Jerome Kieswetter, 19-Khiry Shelton, 20-Eric Miller
- Head coach Andi Herzog made two changes to the starting XI from the first leg: left back Eric Miller is replaced by Desevio Payne. Payne will start at right back with Kellyn Acosta switching to the left side. Also, Luis Gil, who started as an attacking midfielder in Barranquilla, is replaced by Paul Arriola who will shift to the right side.
- There is one change to the 20-man gameday roster, as Julian Green is replaced by Dillon Serna. Green fell ill over the weekend and is unavailable.
- Wil Trapp continues his role as team captain.
- Acosta, Arriola, Payne and Matt Miazga also started for the U-20 MNT against Colombia in 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup in New Zealand. The U.S. won that Round of 16 match 1-0 to advance to the Quarterfinals.
- This is the first-ever appearance with a U.S. youth team at a level above the U-20s for Arriola and Payne.
- Acosta made his debut with the U-23 MNT in the first leg. Earlier this year he made his senior MNT debut when he started in wins over Canada and Iceland.
- Tim Parker is also making his second consecutive start for the U-23 MNT. Prior to the first leg, his last appearance for any USA team was five years ago with the U-18 MNT.
- Ethan Horvath starts in goal for the second straight match. Horvath was replaced by Cody Cropper in the 42nd minute of the first leg as a precaution after a collision with Colombia’s Andres Renteria.
- Acosta (20), Horvath (20), Hyndman (19), Miazga (20) and Payne (20) are the five youngest players on the 23-man roster. All but Hyndman were born in 1995. Hyndman is a 96. The next youngest are Green (20) and Arriola (21), who are also 95s.
- Jordan Morris and Mario Rodriguez are starting at forward together for the second straight game, and fourth time in the current cycle. The duo combined for four goals and two assists in the first three games: wins over Bosnia-Herzegovina (5-2) and Mexico (3-0) and the draw in Colombia (1-1) last Friday.
- Horvath, Miazga, Morris, Matt Polster and Trapp all started in the third place game of the 2015 CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying tournament, in which the U.S. defeated Canada to advance to this Playoff versus Colombia. Hyndman, Serna, Jerome Kiesewetter and Luis Gil also saw action in that win.
- Polster extends his team-high streak of consecutive starts with the U-23 MNT to ten straight games. Polster, who made his debut on Sept. 2, 2015 in a 1-0 loss to England when he replaced Emerson Hyndman in the 63rd minute, has appeared in 11 straight games
- Jerome Kiesewetter, who is available, enters the game with the longest active appearances streak. He has played in each of the last 15 U-23 MNT games and 17 of the last 18.
- There were four jersey number changes from the first leg: Kellyn Acosta switches to #2, Dillon Serna will wear #7, Mario Rodriguez switches to #16 and Tyler Miller will be #18.
- The team is wearing the new white kit for the first time.